Listening In

Sunday, February 14, 2010

My pleasure


14th February 2010


First of all, to my Chinese readers and any reader celebrating with the Chinese this new year, gong hei fatt choy, xin nian kuai le, huat ah!

I'm going to do something a little different today: I'm going to explain myself. It's not something I usually do but because this is the new year and I've eaten far more pineapple tarts than someone running a low-grade fever should, I will.

It's the pineapple tarts talking. I may take down this post once they stop.

But for now, this is what they're saying:

I've been writing about Japan for almost three years now and one comment I hear fairly often is that the pieces are...different. Or if the other person's being blunt, strange.

And I don't mind that at all. I would like to know why people feel that way though (if you have any ideas about this, the comment section's all yours).

More than one reader has said that the columns don't seem to fit into the Review section of The Straits Times, which is where they appear every fortnight. The Review pages are for commentaries, where writers put forward an argument - and argue it out.

I've gone over some of the columns I've written and the closest thing some of them have to an argument? "Buses are nice." Or "flowers are nice". Or if I'm on a roll, "Flowers are really nice".

Different and, to be blunt, strange.

So what am I doing?

I'm answering this now to try to make it clearer for myself and to make sure I don't lose my way in easy jokes and easier opinions.

At their best, these pieces do not offer points of view; they are points of view. They do not express argument; they embody it. In the bones of the best of them are ideas that I have jumped on, shaken, dug my nails into when life bit and I would not cry out. The ideas left are those that did not break. As long as they are lived rather than just believed, those pieces can be written.

I do not bring opinions to the table; I build rooms out of them. If you would know what they are, look under the wallpaper, in the wood grain of the table, in the air that stirs when you enter.

I do this not because I believe there's anything wrong with pieces that state and argue with nothing up the writer's sleeve - they're efficient ways of sharing ideas and, done well, offer much pleasure.

But statement and argument and information speak to the mind, to habits - some would say, prejudices - of thought.

And we are more than creatures of mind.

To the part of you not much used to being addressed, I will speak for as long as I can.

I do not seek to change your mind and I know I cannot change you. All I can do is create spaces where you can, if you choose, speak to the self you seldom see - or to the self you're hoping to see though you're a little hazy on what that self looks like.

Making spaces. Making space. That's all.

If you will allow me, let me do this for you.






13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your columns. I hope one day, they will be published in their entirety as a book. I will buy it!

MEG

Anonymous said...

Your column is the first thing I will look for in the ST every other Saturday (other than the Life section of course;)

Anonymous said...

What is so strange? What is so wrong about being different? I love your entries, can't get enough of them so much so that I have your blog as one of my favourites! And I even travelled to Kyoto to experience what I ahve read...thanks for the posts and get well soon!

Your faithful reader

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Keep writing the way you do. It's a gem every time my Blogger dashboard shows you have a new post up. I've been enjoying your columns from the ST in Singapore to blogger.com here in the U.S. Your columns in the paper are a nice reminder that not all journalism need be efficient and purposeful and defensible. It's comforting that the paper has a space for you, still.

J said...

"I do not seek to change your mind and I know I cannot change you."

I wanted to let you know you already have, even if it's in a small way.

I respect your thoughts and point of view which is why I often come back to read this blog. When you write that "the ideas left are those that did not break", I hope others reading can see the effort you're putting in. What initially drew me to your column was reading about life in Japan, and surprisingly they often lead me to reflect on my own day-to-day's in Singapore. Thank you :-)

Looking forward to your next post as always!

Anonymous said...

Well I'm not sure if this is a compliment to you or not as I am sure you are a Singaporean but I heard a remark that your articles are not written by a "Singaporean". Sounds strange?

onehand said...

Hmm, not much closer to solving the mystery of why the columns are strange but it's good to hear from everyone who's left a comment.

It's like throwing mochi into a black hole for three years and then, one day, the black hole throws mochi back.

On to the individual replies:

- Thanks, MEG. I hope so too.

- Anonymous No.2...it's okay to read the comics first. I won't mind, honest. : )

- Gosh, Anonymous No.3, you did? On behalf of the Kyoto tourism authorities, many thanks.

- Thanks, Anonymous No.4. I'll try to post more regularly.

- And to J, who says "you already have, even if it's in a small way" - ah, but that was you. You did all the spadework; I just left a couple of shovels lying around. Glad to know that they work for you.

- @Anonymous No.5, izzit?

Heh. Well, I don't know what context that remark was made in so I'll laugh and let it pass. Interesting though.

Shirley said...

I read your articles with much delight. You have a poetic approach to penning your pieces. A refreshing difference, definitely good.

Mandy said...

A belated comment since I'm reading this late: your views are a breath of fresh air, that's why I read them and keep reading them. I hope you will keep discovering new things and ideas to write about and to embody.

LearningPartners said...

I agree that your pieces are different.

However, I enjoy them a lot as I find them very reflective and beautifully written. 'Poetic' - one of the words used by another commentor - is an apt word to describe your works. And I was thinking that it is the sensibilities of the Japanese language that has seeped into your English...

Thanks for showing me your world, and in doing so, enlarging mine.

Anonymous said...

I love Kyoto for its elegance, refinement and history. It's interesting seeing Kyoto through your eyes (I really enjoyed your pieces on the Bakufu). Am now planning another trip there during CNY 2013 and getting ideas from your blog for my itinerary :)

~ Singaporean reader in Taipei

onehand said...

Glad you liked the bakufu series! Kyoto tends to be rather cold in February but I hope you'll have a good trip anyway.